Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Thank you

Cross-post on Kidult.com: http://www.kidult.com/blogs/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-senior/thank-you

Thank you so much for the support guys, I hope your learning from my life as well as being entertained in some way, shape or form. We got as high as NUMBER 4 on the Most Viewed Pages list on Kidult so thank YOU so much for reading!! (Now it's time to get to NUMBER 1 ASAP!!) Due to primaries I had no school (THANK GOODNESS I NEED AS MANY BREAKS AS POSSIBLE; During the winter, Let it Snow!!). But I stupidly forgot my homework in school which is something I haven't done since elementary school (actually, more like last year when I think about it SMH!!). So it's bad news because my grade drops but good news because now I have extra time to study and I go to sleep earlier WOOHOO!!!

But I digress....colleges have been calling me all day, my house phone has been off the hook!! IT'S CRAZY! Yesterday I decided to go online and sign up for all these scholarships and give my info out to many different websites without really realizing what I was doing, lol (I just need the money, haha!) I woke up this morning to all sorts of numbers calling and different representatives from various colleges in Florida and California asking for my info and why I was interested in their college. I was worried for a moment thinking it was some bill collector calling, but I had some great conversations with these guys and I learned alot about their respective schools. The only problem was that they called at some of the most inconvenient times when I wasn't ready. At one point I was surfing my Facebook when one of the reps called. I was talking informal with the rep without realizing it because my brain had become accustomed to talking informal at that very moment since I was chatting with my friends. I didn't really realize who I was talking to until I hung up the phone, I was SO embarrassed. Advice to underclassmen: Never use the words fly, cool and aiight when talking with a college representative, be as formal, polite, wise and calm as possible. At least it was a rep from a small school I wasn't that interested in, what if it was University of Maryland or UMBC!! But, I guess my vernacular at that particular moment had no effect on the person on the other line's opinion of me because they seemed ecstatic about my prospects of attending their school and blew up my email inbox, too bad I'm not going there.

Anyway, I wanted to find out where all these colleges were getting my information from; I checked my email and went through dozens and dozens of useless messages but finally I found the guilty culprit. Cappex.com. I was going to go email whoever runs the website and file a complaint before I realized how useful this website was. I honestly think it's better than College Board. It offers you options to contact whatever college you want via email, check out how many other people with the same or similar stats as you got into a certain college and even gives you an estimate on whether you have a chance at being accepted to the college of your choice or not through it's "Admission Chances" option. It also offers scholarships and spotlights scholarships being offered by other organizations and best of all, it lets you start a profile to write in your own words why you would make the best college student. While I recommend you use College Board as much as possible, I also recommend this website as well to help you out in your journey to give you an extra leg on your outlooks with college. Zinch.com, Scholarshippoints.com and Scholarships.com also do the same exact thing. Advice to underclassmen: Use the Internet not only for Facebook and Kidult but for your college search, during this time of college searching the Internet, your guidance counselor and your teachers are your BEST FRIENDS!

On my last blog post I complained about my Ravens losing, but luckily the offense began to mesh and the defense began to play with confidence and my Baltimore Ravens led by the best speaker in the world, Ray Lewis, pulled off the win in the national spotlight 10-9. Now it's on to week two against the Bengals and it's off to day TWELVE for me tomorrow. Good night Kidulters, God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment